Coffee and Donuts are a classical pairing. Its a sweet breakfast, or an afternoon snack. Its versatile and delicious.
What could be better?
I think these baked coffee donuts with a coffee glaze probably could… actually, I know they could.
This is a relatively easy recipe that takes around half an hour from start to finish and produces 8 delicious donuts. Donuts that can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days and they are freezable for up to 2 months.
I recommend using espresso coffee for this recipe, which you can make yourself or source from your favourite coffee shop. But if you can’t do that, a strong french press brew should do!
For the Donuts
1/2 cup of diluted espresso (1:2)
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1/2 caster sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze
1/4 cup warm milk
1 table spoon of espresso
1/2 vanilla extract
2 and 1/4 cup of icing sugar
Chocolate or caramel sprinkles to top!
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 200 celsius and grease a donut pan
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together.
3. In a separate bowl you need to whisk the egg and sugar together. When this is well combined you can add the buttermilk, coffee, vanilla essence and oil.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until just combined. Be careful to not over-mix this.
5. Spoon the batter into the donut pan and bake for around 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Once they are cooked, leave them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool.
7. To make the glaze, combine coffee, vanilla and warm milk until smooth.
8. Dip each donut into the glaze, sprinkle with your topping of choice and place on the wire rack to set. Enjoy!
There we have it: Baked Coffee Donuts.
A treat that is easy to make and delivers a high quality and delicious treat for any time of day (and year).
Made it? Send us a photo for a chance to win £10 off your next order.