Lemon and Turmeric Gold Tea cake.
This is the perfect cake for an afternoon in the sunshine. Pair it with an iced tea for an even more refreshing treat!
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
3/4 teaspoons of ground turmeric
1 cup of sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting the top of the cake before baking
2 tablespoons of lemon zest
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
5 tablespoons of strongly brewed Turmeric gold
3/4 cup of sour cream
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Thinly sliced lemon rounds (seeds removed), for topping
Whipped cream, for serving
1. Put 5 tablespoons of loose leaf, to half a cup of hot water. Set aside for later.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a cake tin with butter and line with parchment paper.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and turmeric in a medium bowl.
4. Add the sugar and lemon zest to another bowl and use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar. Whisk in the sour cream, eggs, tea and lemon juice.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dried mixture, mixing until the flour has been incorporated. Stir in the melted butter.
6. Transfer the batter to the cake pan and use a spatula to smooth the top. Arrange the lemon slices on top and sprinkle everything with sugar.
7. Bake for about 50-60 minutes. Half way through baking, arrange the lemon slices on top and sprinkle everything with sugar. Continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top should be golden and lemon slices beginning to caramelize. Let cool before remove from the pan, slicing, and serving along with the whipped cream.