They are fluffy and light and make for the perfect treat to have with a cup of tea at grans… Who doesn’t love a madeleine!?
This recipe is completely vegan but can be altered and played around with to suit your preferences.
Although this recipe is easy (and worth every measurement) you will most likely need to purchase a madeleine mould as I can’t imagine its a standard in everyones kitchen cupboards.
If you have that though… you’re all set to go:
You will also need:
1 cup All purpose flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/3 cup sugar (any)
1/2 cup Almond milk
1/3 cup Coconut oil
1 Tbsp Strong brewed coffee, cooled right down
1 tsp Vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp Chopped hazelnuts (optional)
2-3 tbsp Chocolate chips (optional)
1. Firstly, you want to sift your flower, salt and baking powder into a bowl and then stir in the sugar.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk, coconut oil, coffee and vanilla extract.
3. Now you want to slowly fold the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredient. You have to be very careful not to over mix this as you will loose the lovely fluffiness of a class madeleine. You can also gently fold in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips if you are using them.
4. Now for the patient bit… You have to cover your mixture and keep it in the fridge for a min of 2 hours and a max of 2 days… depending on when ya want them.
5. When you are ready to bake them, set your oven to 200ºc and grease and prep your madeleine moulds if they need it.
6. Spoon the batter into the moulds. You don’t have to be finicky about this (ie they don’t need to be level) and you want the moulds to be about 4/3 full.
7. You want to bake them for around 12-15 mins until they are golden brown or slightly springy to the touch… They will also smell UNREAL.
8. Cool them down and enjoy them with your favourite hot beverage!
This recipe is one that once made will just keep you coming back for more.
Share them with your best friend, or just eat them all on your own in-front of an episode of The Great British Bake Off… either works for me.
Made it? Send us a picture and stand a chance to win £10 off your next order!